Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Musings in the Early Morning

Realizing that I wrote this more than 7 years ago or so and never published it! So, thought I'd do it now!

It's Saturday morning - early - and I've been up for a couple of hours - an exhausted body that sleep will not come to!
I've been back almost a week from vacation up home in northern Minnesota. In the summer, when driving with my family on a Sunday afternoon "to the lakes", Mom often commented on the color green as we would drive over the gently rolling hills and share her amazement with us that there were literally dozens of variations on the color. She was right - I noted the same thing in my drives to the lakes this summer. There was this great variety of green that stood out against a clear blue sky, DESPITE the fact that the days were dry, and that parts of the state were suffering drought. (The southern half of the state found a drought remedy in floods that did untold damaged just as I was leaving to return here.) It takes some refining of one's powers of observation to see the nuances of "green". Contrast in color, shadow, and light shows off the scenery with much more beauty than would just one flat color. The contrast adds depth, suggests something more behind the color, and invites the imagination to dream of what might be.


No comments: