Friday, May 23, 2014

Lean On Me!

The first part of our journey today. We walked a further distance today in order not to have to go  a much longer distance tomorrow!  
The second map shows the rest of the journey.

  28 KM is 17 1/2 miles or so ... I could not make the last 3 miles and had to accept a ride.  It was very humbling!  But each of my companions on the journey assured me that they all had had their days of exhaustion and pain, too.

As pilgrims on this journey, and for all of us on our earthly journey, it becomes quite evident that we can't go it alone.  We need help - we are a communion of believers.  Yesterday, Fr. Pat stayed with me through the day, encouraging and silently supporting.

Today, Fr. Benjie took up the companioning task as I began to wane!  He is the pace setter and is always out front.  I was soon entrusted to  Peter and then to Janice, and they stayed with me till I gave in to the exhaustion.  

I need and depend on my trekking poles on this journey,  but I am much more dependent on the Body of Christ to make up what is wanting in my own life on many levels.  No one journeys to the Father's Kingdom alone.  We go as community or we do not go at all. This earthly pilgrimage requires us humbly to accept our own weaknesses which are made strong in the breaking of the bread - cum panis,  with others, with our companions on the journey.  

Compline and then bed - tomorrow promises to be very difficult - I will need to lean on others again!

No comments: