Thursday, May 15, 2014

Readiness Calls For Simplicity

Each day brings me nearer to my departure for Spain and the Camino.  Physically and materially, I'm pretty well set.  I got my traditional WYD (World Youth Day) haircut yesterday - short, simple, utilitarian.  No muss, no fuss!  


Eric Storz wrote, "“Jesus puts to words the homelessness in a pilgrim’s heart."  That, of course, leads me to Matthew 8:20: “The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.” 

As I am well into the last half of my life, my greatest desire is to simplify, simplify, simplify - I keep getting rid of things - so much more to rid myself of!  Ridding myself of 'things" leads inevitably to trying to rid myself of my quickness-to-judge, my impatience, my intolerance of less-than-perfect....  Homelessness connotes more than "without a home":  I think it also speaks to detachment, to supreme trust in Providence, and to dependence on others in humility.

I am trying to "lighten my " load for this journey - both by cutting down on the "things" I'm carrying with me and by putting aside those things that distract me from the journey in and to the Kingdom.

Below is  pretty good map of the journey I am about to undertake.  I will begin in Leon - my compadres have been walking the Camino since May 1st.




I have lots to finish up re work at the parish and lots of  "little" things deal with about the trip.  Sigue adelante!

No comments: